A Happy Southern Family

A Happy Southern Family

Friday, May 16, 2014

Tallow Candle


In my desire to learn essential Pioneer Homemaking Skills, I started off learning how to make a Tallow Candle.  Basically tallow candles are made out of the soft left over animal fat from any meat cooking.  One can use the fat on any animal to light their home in a survival circumstance. 

After cooking bacon one morning, I poured the left over bacon fat into a small glass jar.  Usually I save bacon fat tin a little jar anyway to cook and season other food, but this time I placed a candle wick inside the clear hot fat instead.  After the fat cooled it was a soft burnable consistency.  I lit the wick and had me a little bacon smelling candle. Haha!  Just think of how many I will fool, thinking that I'm making bacon! 

1 comment:

  1. I was going to ask if it smelt like bacon! This is a great idea! I'm going to have to start doing this!

    ReplyDelete